Hello, Friends! Goldie here, with some important canine care tips to remember as we approach those “Dog Days of Summer.” Canine companions are often lovingly included in family vacations. Pismo Beach has dog friendly lodging. This is a time of lots of sunny outdoor play and beach time. Dogs do not sweat like humans do—we can easily overheat. Remember to:
- Provide plenty of water, shade, and rest—overheating can lead to heatstroke and even death!
- Watch for these signs of overheating: heavy panting, dry or bright gums, thick drool, vomiting, diarrhea, and wobbly legs.
- Never EVER leave us in your car—we can overheat and die in record time!
- Check with your veterinarian about purchasing sunscreen for your furry friends.
- Groom us regularly, and trim our fur or hair, but NEVER shave us—our coats protect our skin from sunburn and actually keep us cooler.
- Keep an eye on the heat—walk us when its cooler, such as early morning or evenings. Remember to touch the ground with your own foot or hand before letting us walk on hot surfaces. Doggie boots, anyone?
- If we need cooling down, wet our paw pads and stomachs first with cool water.
- Purchase the proper parasite control from your vet—no itchies, please.
- If having fun near or on the water, consider a doggy life vest for your companion.
- Protect us and keep us calm during fireworks—many of us get very frightened and can sometimes run away. Make sure we are tagged and microchipped and even consider a GPS collar.
Happy Summertime, Friends! We’re looking forward to seeing you out and about in beautiful Pismo Beach!