With over 23 miles of white sandy beaches, surrounded by verdant rolling hills of vineyards, lush with pinot noir and chardonnay, Pismo Beach is where the waves of the Pacific meet the Central Coast Wine Country, making it a beautiful, friendly and affordable getaway location. Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, it’s a scenic, short and pleasurable trip from either direction. There is something for everyone and every lifestyle:
1) For Resort Lovers: With many luxurious, oceanfront resorts and spas offering gourmet cuisine, kids clubs, pet friendly rooms, infinity pools, beach access and more, Pismo Beach has lodging choices to make resort vacations possible for every style of traveler and budget.
2) For Beach Lovers: Surfing, kayaking, swimming, volleyball, as well as building sandcastles and welcoming the family dog on the beach, is what makes Pismo Beach enjoyable for all. The pristine seashore will enchant every child and adult. Dolphins are spotted off the coast daily and the sunsets are majestic.
3) For Food & Wine Lovers: With over 30 world class and award winning wineries in the Edna Valley and three fabulous tasting rooms downtown, Pismo Beach offers the perfect pairing of wine and waves. Local restaurants feature locally grown Wine-Country-inspired cuisine complemented by their extensive wine lists and cellar collections.
4) For Nature Lovers: Home to the world’s largest Monarch Butterfly Grove, these fairylike creatures seek shelter from the freezing northern winters here every year from October through February. From the grove, you can walk the boardwalk that travels along the estuary of Pismo Creek to be mesmerized by a myriad of wildlife.
5) For Sport and Outdoor Activity Seekers: With numerous challenging activities, the outdoor enthusiast will always find something to do. Golf next to the ocean on one of three picturesque courses; hike and bike the wine country back roads; ride horseback on the shore; pier and surf fish; surf and boogie board; kayak; and kite surf.
6) Festival & Cultural Activities: Whether it’s to kick off summer with Wine Waves & Beyond, or to celebrate the autumn harvest with SAVOR the Central Coast, there’s always something to celebrate in Pismo Beach. Farmers Market is every Wednesday on the historic pier where farmers offer their seasonal produce, fresh baked goods, olive oil and other artisanal foods. Art In the Park, a seasonal outdoor art exhibit from local artists and craftsmen, is held the 1st Sunday of the month from May through November.
7) For Campers: Pismo Beach offers two campgrounds, each offering it's own unique topography and ecosystem. Pismo State Beach North Beach Campground is walking distance from the Monarch Butterfly Grove. Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area sits on the beach and offers the ultimate extreme “dune-ing” experience.
For more information on where to stay and what to do in Pismo Beach, visit the City’s official website, www.classiccalifornia.com.